Engaging Pieces: Interviews and Prose for the Chess Fan contains interviews with some of the most fascinating personalities of the chess world, poignant short-fiction that uses chess as a metaphor, and in-depth book reviews and editorials.
This is writing that entertains and makes you think.
- Michael de la Maza explains the importance of chess tactics and how he improved his USCF rating from Class-D to Expert, in two years.
- Jen Shahade talks about her book, Chess Bitch, and the controversial topic of women's chess.
- Hikaru Nakamura confides what it's like to be a teenage chess star.
- Mig Greengard, arguably the world's most charismatic chess journalist, waxes philosophic on everything from the immaturity of professional chess players to promoting chess as a sport.
- Hydra's programmers, designers of the world's best chess computer, explain the computer science behind their monster.
- Mark Glickman demystifies every detail of the USCF rating system. Harold Dondis and GM Patrick Wolff of the Boston Globe claim, "It is the best summary...we have seen."